small2TALL

small2TALL
Click here for small2TALL's Facebook page.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

What is the real state of our union?

I am sitting here watching the State of the Union address by President Obama.  There was a time in my past that I would have my own running commentary.  I love politics.  The partisan response to the various comments by the President was amusing to me.  It was theater and I enjoyed it.  Election day was like my super bowl.  I would stay up late into the night watching the returns.  I love politics.

My life has changed drastically in the last three years.  Tonight, as sit here listening to the State of the Union, there is one question that is consuming my thoughts.  What is the real state of our union?  I am not concerned with the deficit.  I am not concerned with health care reform.  I am not concerned with income equality or the unemployment rate.  I am concerned with the deficit of committed, faithful, enthusiastic, honorable men of God.

There are many issues that are plaguing this country today.  Nothing is more serious than the disappearance  of Godly gentlemen.  With the disappearance of our Godly men, our sons have lost the role model they need to teach them how to pray.  I believe there is a serious prayer deficit in America today.  An entire generation is growing up not knowing how to cry out to our Heavenly Father.  Men, we are the spiritual head of our families.  If we are not teaching them how to pray then no one will.  If our children do not see us go to the Lord in prayer when we encounter trials, how will they know to do it when they have issues of their own?

Men, we have lost the ability to prioritize those things that are truly important.  We have forgotten what it means to take a stand for those things that are truly meaningful.  We choose sports programs versus worshipping with our families on Sunday mornings.  Sports programs are important.  They teach sportsmanship, teamwork, and ethics.  These are important but they are not more important than teaching our children how to worship.  Is there a better way to teach our children how to worship than having them watch us?  It is time for Dad's to take a stand and loudly declare that Sunday is the Lord's day and we will dedicate ourselves to keeping that day set apart.

We have some serious issues.  The good news is that we can overcome these issues.  We simply must rededicate ourselves to fulfilling the role in our families that the Lord intended for us.  We can take a stand.  It is not too late.

Joshua 24:15  If it is disagreeable in your sight to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves today whom you will serve: whether the gods which your fathers served which were beyond the river, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you are living; but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."

Listening to the Voice,
Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment